Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Life of Maverick

Some people would say "its not easy being a 'Maverick'". Most people upon meeting me make a direct reference to Top Gun, and the most asked question is "Where's Goose?" Usually I just shrug it off, or I respond with "He died, didn't you see the movie?" followed with a wink ;-). Despite the common teasing associated with my name, the part that's "not so easy being a 'Maverick'", in the breaking out from the norm and all the resistance that entails being different, is what inspired me to begin this blog. 

My name is Zane Maverick Hilgendorff. Everybody calls me Maverick, except for my close family and friends who sometimes call me other things ;-). I'm a product of a European and Middle-Eastern heritage that runs deep in what, and who, I am. Home for me is the Great Northwest. Born in Redmond, WA, I grew up in Sea-Tac and Federal Way during my childhood years. From the age of 13 until graduating High School, I lived in a few small towns in North Idaho. At 19 I went to Southern France where I served a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It was also in Southern France where I met my amazing wife Lindsey who I have had the honor of being sealed to, for time and eternity, just over two-years ago. We just moved this last weekend from the Phoenix metropolitan area of Chandler to Flagstaff where Lindsey and I are going to school.

During the course of my many travels and life experiences, I continually find myself learning something new all the time. Life for me has been a tremendous educator that has taught me principles that have priceless value. So in writing this blog I will share the things that I have learned, as well as the things I am learning, in hope of reaching out to you, the reader, to gain a different point-of-view, a greater knowledge or insight on a topic or subject, or simply another opinion. Ultimately, I hope that what you find in my blogs might help you in those times when "its not easy" and for those who can relate, I hope these things bring a smile or a good laugh. The first thing that I will share from my personal wisdom, "You have to laugh at life, or life will laugh at you!"

2 comments: